Monday, August 25, 2014

From High School to...life

    Today marked the first day that classes started here at Jmu. Of course this means having my backpack packed the night before, clothes laid out for the next day, schedule memorized...over and over again just to make sure I don't look like a freshman searching for there class (one way to look out for freshman is to see if anyone is using there "Mappy", a silly map of Jmu that automatically differentiates freshman from alumni..upper classmen...and really.. everyone), and telling my self that this semester is going to be my best one yet. I am currently a Economics major while pursuing a B.B.A or, a Bachelors of Business Administration. While my goal is to pursue a career in law enforcement, I figured that Business looks great, could be fun, and is really quite an excellent program here at Jmu. Anyways ( I get distracted very easily and can ramble on about really anything, just like how RG3 really did not look great the other night against the Ravens and makes me really hope he can progress from.....sorry... I did warn you my brain sometimes loses focus) to start off the day, I had my 8:00 to 8:50 class in interpersonal business skills. Lovely, a eight a.m and some class that I probably wont care about or learn anything from (The Jmu B.B.A program requires a multitude of business classes to pursue a B.B.A such as basic economics, accounting and management.). Next up Micro Economics from 1:25-2:15, a class I need to do well in (but shouldn't we do well in all of our classes?) so I should probably sit in the back of the class to avoid distractions from those who might not care as much as me about their grade in the class, great logic right? Finally my last class of the day is immediately after Micro and is merely one floor above the Micro. Financial Accounting...uhh.. that's something I need to work hard for, I thought to myself, as I looked at my schedule. So  my house mate, who lives right next to me, took me from our house, to campus, and then I grudgingly walked to Zane Showker building (The business building, that just so happens to have the most comfortable swivel chairs on campus, the true reason why I switched to a B.B.A. Its all about that swivel action.) to confront the days classes. As I sat down by myself, a international exchange student from South Korea sat next to me. She is a marketing major and she has this.... grasp of what she wanted from the class, and an intent on doing well and not slacking off. I want to do as well as the next guy, but I will admit my will power to do extremely well is not quite as high as hers... or at least wasn't. Then after reading the syllabus for this interpersonal business class, I realized this is actually real stuff that really does apply to situations I will find myself in. Elevator speeches, professional resumes, and public speaking are only a few of the critical topics that will be covered and practiced in the class. What a difference college is from high school. Apart from the fact that of course you cant bomb tests, or afford to not study because the classes are that much harder, the content itself, at least in my major, is massively different. I went from learning facts and general information, to learning skills, and how to succeed in my profession. Not only do we learn the information, but also apply it, and practice using it, to prepare for jobs outside of school. Well I thought, that's probably just one class I'm sure that my next two classes will probably be the same old information retention type classes. After talking to my friend who was in the class next to me and convincing me that her Professor was better, I headed into my class. Because of course I came much earlier then needed because it was the first day, I sat and waited fifteen minutes. Once my Professor began going over the course materials and what to expect, he to did things differently. Though there will still be tests (can't get out of that one I suppose), we would be learning Economics with groups, because in life we will have to analyze problems with other people. So as I leave, class and head upstairs and talk about the good ole days of dorm life last year (Gifford Hall for the win!), and how much we miss it with one of my good buddies and previous dorm mates, I head into my class..... Financial Accounting. I did not possibly think there would be anyway I could get through this required class this year. As I sat down next to a friend from high school, and as we both talk about how much this class is going to kick our butts, our Professor begins class. As she goes over what is to come one thing strikes me, she is really knowledgeable. She explains that the class is going to be fast paced, but she will be there to help us along the way. She then immediately starts going into information about accounting. ASSETS! LIABILITIES! EQUITIES! DIVIDEND! CAPITAL! ASSETS ARE EQUAL TO LIABILITIES PLUS OWNERS EQUITY! My mind was racing and could not keep up, but she then stops and says "Let me explain in plain old English". What followed was a superb explanation of basic accounting terms and rules that made sense to me, and probably ninety five percent of the class (I think I saw one or two students giggle and flirt with each other instead... maybe they found true love with one another, or maybe they should have paid attention to a good Professor...only time can tell and I'm no judge).Once again just as I had felt earlier today, this realization hit me of how these classes, and all this information truly does relate to my life and really does educate me and is equipping me to be a skilled worker. Things like elevator speeches, working to solve economic solutions, and how to prepare the four different financial statement and spreadsheets, are going to help set me apart from others when the day comes after college that I seek and apply for the job of my dreams. At first, so many of these classes seem tedious and not likely at all to be interesting or worthwhile, whether that's because they are hard, or just do not seem to relate to what you as an individual want to do. But my advice is look harder, and you will not only see how these classes relate to reality after college, but prepare, equip and set you apart from every one else. The day may come when a law enforcement agency looks at me and says, "Yes we are hiring you because you are so diverse in your training, education, and skills. Plus we may need your lower level accounting skills now and then to take a look at some accounts or do some auditing if we need it". Well I can only dream, but until then I can study hard with the knowledge that what I learn today, and in this 2014-2015 year can and will truly help me along my career path.

No comments:

Post a Comment